Friday, March 13

Alleluia - Thompson

I discovered this one all on my own. and i cried.
it's gorgeous.

This peice was written soon after the Nazi occupation of France when the future of the free world was in doubt. Thompson was moved so by these events that when he was commissioned by Koussevitzky to write a festival fanfare peice for voices for the new Berkshire Music Center at Tanglewood he instead wrote this sad, plaintive prayer saying that a fanfare was not appropriate for the times.





Hope you enjoy it because I definently did!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

all I can say is wow. 4:41 to the end sent chills up my spine.

where do you find all this great music???

Unknown said...

haha. VPR classical radio starts it, then i find it on Itunes...
then, i search it on Youtube, and find stuff. yup. it's a musician thing. you just find things. haha. reason for the blog i guess. =D